Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Random intrusions of thought...

Does this ever happen to you? You are just going along minding your own business...your brain is chattering to itself in the background about, I dont know, some discussion about observations, which usually you kind of just ignore and keep on with what you are doing. Then you hear, "Sometimes I feel like I'm just existing." -- WHAT?? HOLD ON A MINUTE HERE! What in the world are you guys talking about in there? So you stop a moment to try to figure out what that was all about, only to hear the following discussion:

"Sometimes I feel like I'm just existing."
"Why do you say that?"
"Well, it's already Wednesday, and I haven't accomplished a damn thing! I blink and suddenly the week is over, and what have I done?"
"True, you have been a little slow at getting things moving, but that doesn't mean you accomplished nothing at all."
"Oh, yeah? What did I do then?"
"Well yesterday you played in the pool with the kids."
"So! What did that accomplish?"
"You made them laugh."
"Yeah, well that was only for an hour or so. What about the rest of the day?"
"Well then you dried them off and took them back outside to play in the sand box. You sat there for at least an hour building a sand castle with them and making a mess in the watery turtle sand box!"
"Okay...but my work still didn't get done, so what did I accomplish?"
"You let them make a mess and enjoy the feeling of wet sand between their toes."

Sometimes when these little debates happen inside my head, I tend to take the side of the voice that is saying, "Yeah, but," and being stressed out. I'm still learning that most of the time she's wrong.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really R - tell the "Yeah, but..." voice to butt the hell out. When you clean the house, run errands, etc. - you're taking care of the now. But the time you spend with the kids - that impacts the FUTURE. So really, if you think about it, YOU ARE AHEAD OF THE GAME! :)

Zonnestraaltje said...

OMG... my kids's future is going to be very interesting then since we talk about things like The Invisible Pickle... they will probably be in therapy by the time they are ten. LOL!

No, seriously, Cyd, thanks for the message. Your words are so very true. :)