Monday, June 06, 2005

Not sure what might come next...

My mother is all the way in California, while I'm out here in PA. Most of the time, I feel pretty good about being out here so far away from everyone.... but there are moments when I feel so helpless when certain events are happening out there with my family.

For the past few weeks, my mom has been dealing with uncertain female medical issues, both upstairs and downstairs, if you know what I mean. I think it's safe to say that breast cancer runs in my family. This is but only one concern my mom is dealing with right now. She has also been experiencing strange bleeding and pain. At first she thought maybe just a bladder infection was coming on... conversations and tests even had brought her to the conclusion that she needed a hysterectomy. Well today she went for a consultation with an OB/Gyn... who didn't think she needed a hysterectomy... he gave her a biopsy in the office.... because he suspects she could have cancer.... in her kidneys.

I didn't know what to say or do. I can't give her a hug. I can't hold her hand. All I can do is wait here for her to call me in a week when she gets the results. She has an appointment with the same cancer doctor that treats my grandmother. I am not sure what might come next... just wanted to vent. Thanks.

6 comments:

yoko said...

i am so sorry to hear that you're, or rather your mother, is going through all this. i hate waiting for news, especially when the current situation doesn't look very promising. i'm there with you in spirit though, and if you need someone to talk to i'm only a phone call away. stay strong!

Zonnestraaltje said...

Thank you!! You're the best!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry this is happening R...

I know what you mean about the helplessness. We went through it when my grandparents got sick in Hawaii. And with the waiting, Rae and I went through that last year with my mom. She had some weird flu like illness that dried out her skin to the point of cracking her fingertips and her nails and after what seemed like a bazillion tests and waiting for over a month, never got diagnosed. The tests came out negative and it went away on its own...I felt like I was holding my breath the whole time.

You're thinking about her, you're worried about her, and you love her. In the grand scheme of things, I think that helps a great deal.

You know we're all here for you, right? Chin up, and call if you need anything...

yoko said...

C said...

You're thinking about her, you're worried about her, and you love her. In the grand scheme of things, I think that helps a great deal.

i think that really sums it up. as mentioned before...call me if you need anything!

yoko said...

C and T were always better with words than me...

Satrina said...

I'm so sorry for the bad news, R. Will keep my fingers crossed hoping that the biopsy comes back negative :-(

*hugs*