Saturday, May 28, 2005

Commemorative Bead Project

The Bead Society of Greater Washington is having a black-tie gala on June 25th in Washington, DC. I would love to attend, but the ticket price is a little high for me. I'm going to see if maybe after my next paycheck they still have tickets left, but I've already made peace with the fact that I probably won't get to go.

They have asked for volunteers to make commemorative beads to be handed to each attendee. As a member of the Mid-Atlantic Society of Glass Beadmakers, I raised my hand at the last quarterly meeting. So I need to make 15 beads using a limited set of colors so that everyone's beads will be somewhat similar. The colors chosen were periwinkle, light ivory, lemon yellow, and medium red... someone talked them into letting us use a little clear too...which made a big difference to me since I like to incorporate a lot of clear in my beads. The challenge for me was that this combination really did nothing for me...and I would not have thought of putting them together. So I really had to push myself to come up with a nice way to use them together, and still have them look like something I would make. I made eight so far. I plan to finish the rest tonight. Here are the first eight. I don't know about that little blue bicone...it looks kind of primative. Maybe today's torch session will be more inspiring!

.

2 comments:

yoko said...

R, that is so cool that you volunteered to make commemorative beads! :) good job! again, i'm in love with the slipper!

i'm sorry to hear that you will not be attending tbe black tie gala, but perhaps next year will provide an opportunity?

Satrina said...

Aw, I think the bicone is cute!