Wednesday, May 18, 2005

"Non lasciare che il passato ti dica chi sei...lascia che ti dica chi diventerai."

This is found at the back cover of Laura Pausini's most current CD, "Resta in Ascolto". I only got as far as Italian 3 at UCLA, so forgive me if my translation (or interpretation) of this line is kind of loose... but I internalize it as, "Don't let the past tell you who you are...let it tell you who you will become."

Sometimes I feel like a stranger looking in when I reflect on my past. It was, for the most part, quite happy and full of great people.... but also it was very bumpy at times...and even full of moments when I wasn't sure if I would see the light of the morning. Now and then I find myself spiraling in...and I have to pull myself back out to reality. My here and now is what it is because of what I have experienced, and I just wanted to take a moment to thank those of you who have been part of that journey. Each of you have made quite an impact on me... and I look forward to what's coming next.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

R - I'm really not good at keeping in touch, so I'm very thankful that you are. Periodically I pause and wonder how I got here, wherever 'here' is at the time, and little bits and pieces of the past will pop into mind. They seem like part of another lifetime. I've known you and T forever. I find it amazing how people can enter into and exit from the lives of others repeatedly for different reasons and still remain friends. Where would we be without Indian Maidens (T) and Denker Ave. Elementary (R)? And Y, if it were not for SC, I may not have met you! -c

P.S. Not only am I thankful that you're YOU, R, I'm also thankful that your sense of humor is, at the very least as perverse as mine! ;)

yoko said...

i'm not very good at keeping in touch, either, but i do try! heck, C and i live SO close and yet we hardly see each other! but i am glad that we have managed to stay in touch and become close these past few years. :)

and c- omg! that is so true! if it weren't for SC i doubt that we would be the friends that we are today!

let it be said that i am thankful for each and every one of you being a part of my life!

Satrina said...

I like the sentiment in your title, R. And as C says, I'm grateful that you are such a good correspondent, because I know I'm not. And I'm grateful to have known you way back when, and more grateful to still know you today :-)

And that goes ditto to all of you. Reflecting on C's post... it is funny, the multiple ways our paths have crossed over the years... although I suppose that partially owes to the incestuous nature of life in good ol' G-town ;-)

(Indian Maidens! SC! UCLA! Y'all are killing me with teh wacky memories).

Zonnestraaltje said...

You know...I think I managed to hold on to the best of those years... I've got you three to hug, and who can beat that? Now and then I wonder where certain people wandered off to... I figure if the universe wants me to see them again, it will happen sometime... at the very least, they pop into my dreams.

C, your comment about my sense of humor...remember those days in Task Force where we would just sit and make lude comments about different things in life? I used to love our conversations! And T, well, what can I say about us? Through thick and thin... and the times when I was pretty much unbearable... you put up with me, and I love you for that... also...thanks so much to both of you for bringing Y into my world, because her and new hubby are just wonderful to be friends with. Okay...now I have to go find my tissue again. *sniff sniff*

Anonymous said...

Did T really say Gardena is incestuous??? Uh...I think I'm going to have to move now...

Anonymous said...

An afterthougt...Soddom (sp) and Gardena???

Zonnestraaltje said...

Yeah, don't you know about the pimps at Pit Burger???

Anonymous said...

Not only am I going to have to move, I'm going to have to stop eating at Pit Burger!!!

Satrina said...

OMG PIT BURGER.