Sunday, July 09, 2006

Searching for Pusey!

I thought that would get your attention!

When I told my mom there is a Puseyville, Pennsylvania, she just had to go and find it... so today we shipped the kids off with my in-laws and we armed ourselves with my camera and some soft drinks.
Stepping off the porch I shouted, "Let's go search for Pusey!"

(Okay, we are easily amused!) (Maryanne, if you are reading this, you are probably shaking your head at us
crazy West Coast folks who are still in awe over the Amish and the funny little names of Pennsylvania towns. Sorry! Kick me later!)

So we headed out...

but stopped at the World Famous Shoe House on the way. The shoe house is right here in York County, PA! I pass it often, but this is the first time we ever stopped to visit.



Then we got back on the road in search of Pusey! I told my mom it was just a little speck on the map, and sure enough...here is what we found in Puseyville:


a sign....

and a cow!

Then we just had to pop on over to Intercourse, PA! Here we found Amish things and more signs and lots of road apples! ha ha ha







We spent most of the day laughing, so it was a good day!

5 comments:

Satrina said...

Looks like it was a great road trip! I'm digging the shoe house and the sign for Intercourse.

On a tangentially related note, do you remember the old commercials for Worthington Ford back in L.A., back in the day? They always started "This is Caaaaaal Worthington and his doggggggg Spot!" and "Spot" always turned out to be something other than a dog... like an alligator or a duck? I remember that one of those commercials had ol' Cal running around the car lot in his cowboy hat with a big cow, and so from that point forward, I always thought that the chorus of the song was "pussy cow, pussy cow, pussy cow" instead of "Go see Cal, go see Cal, go see Cal." I didn't figure it out until junior high or so. I mean, what would a "pussy cow" be, anyway? O.o

And that's what the cow in Pusey reminds me of!

Zonnestraaltje said...

YES! I was just like five or something in my pajamas at Grandma's house on St. Andrews Place eating scrambled eggs and ketchup singing "Pussy Cow! Pussy Cow! Pussy Cow!" Wonder if it was subliminal since so many people thought that's what it said! I even remember you and I comparing notes about that in junior high... still funny! That's why I love you so much...we have the same weird sense of humor. Miss you!

Maryanne said...

Nah.. I still think it's funny. I remember when I found out what it meant. Never said the name of that town without fliching again!

Now, if you go on down to (I think) Kennett Square, there is a store at the main traffic light adorned with its name the whole length of the building: "J C Pusey Hardware". Always caused a snicker on the way to the shore.

Maryanne said...

Nah.. I still think it's funny. I remember when I found out what it meant. Never said the name of that town without fliching again!

Now, if you go on down to (I think) Kennett Square, there is a store at the main traffic light adorned with its name the whole length of the building: "J C Pusey Hardware". Always caused a snicker on the way to the shore.

yoko said...

"NICE!"

enough said, i think. that's DH's quote, by the way!