Sunday, July 02, 2006

Back from California!

Well, actually we have been back since Wednesday morning! The footage of David and the tooth happened in our backyard. I'm still trying to get situated though! ha ha

We came back with my mother, which makes things feel like we are still on vacation. The kids are enjoying her. We are going to Olive Garden today to eat.

I can't believe it was a week ago already that we were have a blast at my grandma's birthday party! She had such a good time, and boy was she surprised! First, the kids walked in holding a big bouquet of flowers and my mom took them over to Grandma. She said, "Mom, this little girl wants to give you some flowers." Grandma said, "Oh, okay." She kind of looked at them for a moment and thought they looked familiar...but had no idea until she saw me poking my head around the door that it was MY kids! Then she about fell apart!! She was so excited!

Then her sister and niece arrived... the Mariachis started playing... and here is what I captured because I WASN'T BLINKING! he he... I was so glad I decided to be there. My grandma is the one in the white blouse, and her sister is in the green blouse... came all the way down from Oregon to surprise her.




and below my cousin Cha-Cha, Grandma, and Auntie Elo dance to Happy Birthday...



In my family, Mariachis are mostly only present at funerals. They are such a powerful and emotional element to any family event. Now and then it is a treat to have them at a birthday or wedding...but still pretty rare. This was wonderful to see my grandma enjoy them while she is alive. The last time we had mariachis was my grandpa's funeral. They always make everyone cry. This time it was nothing but happy songs! David refers to them as "Big singing Mexicans".

I'll post pictures from California after I get a job out the door. I have quite a few nice shots from the party and from the beach with friends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are totally awesome memories! I am so glad you didn't blink.

How is your Mom? Tell her I said Hi! I really enjoyed meeting her last year :o)

I can't wait to see more pics and you of course!

{{HUGGS}}

Satrina said...

Oh, mariachis! I'm glad you had a great time back in Cali and collected such wonderful memories. Definitely a good call and good work getting there for those special moments! :-D

yoko said...

i think you made a good choice in coming out and surprising your gma! what a lovely, lovely, surprise! i'm still roflmao over David's comment about the mariachis. i miss the little bugger and buggerette. (no offense at all, okay? just thinking of something zany to refer to your kids by...) :D

thanks for sharing those priceless moments! :D