Thursday, July 20, 2006

My Week in the Twilight Zone...

I am sitting here remembering Maryanne saying something about Mercury in retrograde...and I know that means something freaky...but I'll never proclaim myself to be an astrology expert. In retrospect...my week has been freaky! I know the week isn't over yet... but I plan to stay inside tomorrow!

Crazy Event #1:

Keith came in and announced there was a problem outside for me to take care of...

BAT IN THE POOL!!! ALIVE!

I fished him out with the skimmer and noticed...not only was a bat in our pool...he had a beatle stuck on his eye!




So I used a pen to get the bug off...

and here is batty!




I dumped him off outside our back gate and he kind of "walked" himself away under Keith's trailer. I hope he made it home okay later because it has been impossibly hot this week!

Crazy Event #2:

While visiting my friend Maryanne (her link is Torchsong Studio on my sidebar) in Manheim, a wicked storm came through!

Here is her cute workshop where she makes soaps, beads, jewelry, and manages her business. At Christmastime, it's an enchanted gift shop!




Inside, she let me play on her torch! Man, I haven't made beads in a year! It was so nice to melt some glass. Here is a view out of her window, and a couple pics of Maryanne making a bead:








We stepped outside to view her gourd nursery... little baby gourds climbing a hand-crafted wooden cupola.
This is a "snake" gourd...although Maryanne's sister referred to it a little differently! ha ha ha Of course I was intrigued when I saw it:



Her dog Rudy is gorgeous and ever so sweet!!! Love him!





So what was crazy about this visit? We lost power while I was starting a bead...so a wonky plain white bead went into the kiln...which was off of course because of the power, but oh, well! She invited me in the house to wait the storm out. Suddenly there was a terrible BOOM! CRACK! Lightning struck close to the property -- splitting a tree a few houses down! We about came out of our skins, it was so loud! (She lost some electrical items due to this, which she found out about the next day!) On the way home, a portion of the route was blocked, and I got completely lost! Luckily I made it home after two hours of driving around!

Crazy Event #3:
At the beginning of my visit with Maryanne, the owner of the firm I report for called and asked if I could take a job in Media, PA...about two hours from my house. I agreed, and he was pretty clear that it started at 2:30 p.m. Well, my worksheet came through the e-mail saying 7:00 a.m. start time. I couldn't get a hold of someone to confirm it because her cell phone died that night too!!! So, not wanting to take a chance that 7:00 was right...though highly unlikely, I left the house at 4:30 a.m. to be in Media by 6:30. Well...not only was it really 2:30...but it later got moved back to 3:30! That's okay...I hung around town...but it was way too hot to go to a park or something...so I just loitered at Borders and Michael's and the mall...ho hum...

On the way home...I passed a couple signs for Spread Eagle Village! Another kinky Pennsylvania attraction!



Crazy Event #4:

Came home to see this:



When Thumpers Attack!!! (Going to submit to Stuff on My Cat!)

Maybe Friday will be a little more subdued. He he he

2 comments:

Satrina said...

Oh, wow, sounds like it's been some week! Will it sound too weird if I say I'm jealous of the bat in your pool? Er, by which I mean that I'm jealous that you have the bat in your pool, not that I'm jealous of the bat for being in your pool... although a nice swim does sound pretty good at the moment.

Your friend's studio looks like a wonderful place... I love the idea of having a gourd garden! It must have been nice to get a little time and chance to work with your art again. I think of you and your beads every time something gleaming and colorful catches the corner of my eye.

And now I'm going to hide the screen from my kitty before she sees the photo of your kitty with the Thumpers. We have neglected to get her spayed, and I don't want her getting any ideas about my stuffed animals :-o

yoko said...

what a week!

i shared the pics with DH and he was totally ROFL with the pics! well "spread eagle" and the 2 city names. he said "NICE!" with such enthusiasm. i'm sure you can imagine!

i find the bat thing totally freaky. omg, to discover him in your pool!

my mom had that same "cathy" mug that your friend Maryanne is using! what a wonderful workshop! totally laughing at the gourd. i can only *imagine* what you thought it resembled. (hee hee!) i think we all need to spend time with our art! (you, satrina, and me included!) whatever that art may be.

did the kiddies to that with Thumper? hmmmmm....