Monday, July 17, 2006

Hydrangea!

Well, I shouldn't take credit for this because I didn't do anything... Nah... I'll take credit for it anyway! Ha! (Only because I picked them out two seasons ago!)

My hydrangea! One of three plants has blooms this year...better than last year where there were none! :(

I'm in love...even though it is just a modest little bloom. I know hydrangea color is determined by the soil's acidity or alkalinity... but how is it that you can get purple/blue AND pink all on the same bush? Tracey, help! You are the Garden Goddess!!!

Anyway...here are my little beauties!



2 comments:

Satrina said...

Congratulations on your flourishing hydrangea... it's lovely!

I tried to research your question about the different flower colors, but all I was able to come up with was that there is a pigment called delphinidin 3-monoglucoside in hydrangea flowers that reacts with aluminum in the soil to change the color of the flowers to blue. My guess would be that the different colored flowers are fed by different roots, some of which are exposed to more aluminum than others.

If we were going to be really serious about it, I would ask if you had any neighbors with hydrangeas, and what color theirs default to, to get an idea of the normal soil pH in your area. If they're mostly pink, maybe that pipe next to the plant could be the color-changing culprit? (Is it a pipe, or do my eyes decieve me? It's been way too long since my last visit with the optometrist).

On the other hand, you could just be blessed with Cinderella's fairy godmothers doing a number on your yard! :-D

yoko said...

pretty hydrangea!