Thursday, June 22, 2006

Don't blink...

You might miss something good.

Friends... this morning I hugged a friend, (some of you know who I mean), who blinked and found herself saying good-bye to her 32-year old husband. In just a swift moment, the Juniata River took him under... leaving a family struck with shock and disbelief... and beautiful children who will grow up with an emptiness in their life where he belonged. I hope they will fill it up with happiness and good memories of their dad.

Why is it that it only seems to be tragedy that makes you take a moment to look around? Some days flash by so quickly. You wake up, move about, go back to sleep again... taking for granted that the next day will find you all in the same place and in the same condition. Why is it so hard to live life to the fullest now just in case now is all there is?

The minister said something at the service today... "What if it were you that died? Are you prepared to face it?" What does that mean? Am I prepared to leave this world satisfied that I said all I wanted to say to everyone I wanted to say it to...done all the things I wanted to do? Did I spend quality time with those I love? Will my children feel that I left them a legacy? Will my husband know how much I love him? Will I know that those I have wronged in the past have forgiven me? Will I know that everyone I love with know I loved them too?

I think his point was more about believing in "God" and "Jesus". What a turmoil inside of me with that idea. I make it a point to not really discuss religion with those around me. It's too sticky. Also for me though, it's a sore spot. I come from a Catholic family. One that believe in certain traditions... yet did not attend mass regularly. My feelings are mixed. I had my first communion, and it stopped there. No one said to me, you should do this and do that... but they did give me a sense of faith... faith that there is a place for us beyond the body... a place where we will meet again, and that those that love us will be waiting and watching over us. I may not feel close to "God" or "Jesus"...but I feel close to family that I miss, and I do have faith that I will see them again. I'd hate to leave this world now, but my heart feels that someone will be waiting for me on the other side, and that I might be able to watch over the ones I love that stay behind.

I think often about what I would do should something happen to Keith or the kids... events play out in my head. Sometimes I worry that something is wrong with me for being so morbid... details down to seeing them in caskets and what they would wear, what I would say, et cetera... I'm starting to think that I'm not a sick person... I'm someone in touch with possibilities...even bad possibilities...to the degree that when I snap out of thoughts such as these, it always results in hugs and kisses and expressions of love and gratitude to those around me. It reminds me not to wait until it's too late...it reminds me to try to blink less often... don't let something precious slip by without enjoying it.

Friends....thanks for reading this mushy post. I'm a melancholy mess today. To see a friend in pain is just very difficult for me. I wish I could rewind the days back to Father's Day and pluck her husband out of harm's way so that she would be smiling today... but I can't. All I can do is say "I love you" to all of you because I really do love you.

I know it is only a few people who visit my blog, and that's just fine with me because I know who you are, and I can speak right to you...and I know that I love you all. You are important to me. You are part of what makes me who I am. Without you in my life, I would smile less. I miss you all each day, and I am glad you allow me to share a little piece of my world with you here. It's not the most amazing life I live... but it's mine that I am creating with my wonderful friends, and I am so glad you are here to share your lives with me. So...let's hope I don't miss anybody, and that you don't mind if I say your names out loud here.... but Yoko, Tracey, Cyd, Maryanne, Faith, you are my most dedicated readers who comment often and brighten my day. Thanks! Hopefully some lurkers may be Ann and Shawn...and then the friends that may not visit at all or even know I'm talking about them now are...Rick, Sarah S., Karen W., Laura (the phantom), Nolly, Joan and Rob, Kelly H., Nancy C., Kristen M., Linda L., Elena, Barbara, Darren O., I love you all!!! Okay...and I'll even go so far as to mention a few people that I have thought about often but have not seen in ages and would like to mend some fences with... those would be Jason Y., John B., Cong V., Richard L., and Terry J. Boys that are now men living their lives somewhere... long forgetting all about me... but I wish them well. **Sigh**

Sorry for the wishy-washy day. Thanks again! I love you guys!

***Hugs*** .... Rachel

P.S. -- How am I not blinking? Well, as an example...my Grandmother is being given a big party on Sunday with Mariachis and everything! We really could not afford to drop $1200 right now for tickets, but the four of us will be on a plane Saturday to surprise her at her party Sunday! I can pay off the credit card again later...but I can't turn back the clock when she is gone and I regret not being there to see her face when her sister walks through the door, having traveled from Oregon to Cerritos, CA. How are you not blinking? Think about it a second...and then go do it!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lurked today - must be some reason I was meant to, cuz I haven't done it in a very long time. I love the "new additions" to the blog! I'm sorry you had such a sad day yesterday. Think good thoughts about Sunday and remember all you have in your life - including some "lurker" friends! You should really get in touch with me when you get home from CA. Maggie Moos is calling us! Have a happy weekend!

Zonnestraaltje said...

Ha! Shawn!!! Girl, you must be psychic!!!!! I felt guilty the other day... I finished a depo down in Columbia, Maryland and stopped over at the mall there in search of something yummy to drink on the long drive home...when I walked in the door though..there it was.. MAGGIE MOO'S!!!! I just had to get a shake...but I felt like I was cheating on you! LOL!

I'll call you when I return and we can hit up the Moo's on Market Street! he he he Miss ya!!! Hug the kids for me! Hey, is Wedgie Ramon still there?

Anonymous said...

Rachel thank you for the post from your giving soul!
You have pointed out some wonderful things that we should all keep in mind. I'm going to try and do less blinking and more doing...it's gotta be the best therapy around.
I'm so glad you are taking the time even though you don't have the money to see your Grandmother! I wish you a safe, happy, and wonderful trip to see your loved ones!

Maryanne said...

Rachel, you really touched a nerve with me on this one too. Ever since this happened, and even before, I've been trying to manage to fit all the wonderful people I love together in my life. To find a way to show them all how important they are to me. My heart is big enough, unfortunately, time is limited.
Rob, my 20 year old son, asked (almost begged!) me to go SHOPPING and out to dinner with him last night. He misses doing things with me! (and I thought he was busy with his computers, classes and friends) At first I figured he just wanted me to buy him something, but we came home happy and laughing, with full stomachs and empty shopping bags.
Your post just reminded me AGAIN that I need to slow down and enjoy my loved ones.
Have a great trip, darlin'. You've made a wise decision.

yoko said...

forigve me, i'm slow.

it's true, in the face of tragedy we all seem to take stock of our lives, the good, the bad, and everything in between and opt to (hopefully) make changes toward the better. i totally know what you mean by righting your wrongs, and speaking to those you may have left a bad taste with yet still care about somewhere in your heart after all these years.

thanks for taking the time to see us! we truly enjoyed it! =D

Satrina said...

I am quite slow. Read this a while ago but was not sure what to say... forgive me. I'm sorry for your friend's loss, and for the heartbreak it caused you. I do know how hard it is to see others in the kind of pain that just can't be remedied.

I spend quite a good amount of time blinking, I'm afraid, but I think I'm also learning that it's just part of my current pace as I try to make sense of things in the course of moving forward.

Anyway, your post gave me long pause for introspection. Thanks for that, and thanks for the thought. I know I need to spend more time showing you guys how often I think of you all... which really is quite often. It's just the ACTION part that trips me up :-/

yoko said...

satrina said...

I know I need to spend more time showing you guys how often I think of you all... which really is quite often. It's just the ACTION part that trips me up :-/

ditto. i think about you (and K and the kids) and T and C quite often. i am so thrilled and so fortunate to have friends like you! :D