Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Dream Corner

I will always be the first to say that I suck at being a gardener or landscaper. As much as I enjoy beautiful outdoor spaces, I just don't have the mental attention span to create it myself. I'm too much of a perfectionist. I hesitate doing anything if I can't do it perfectly. Unfortunately that keeps me from doing lots of things. I don't know about plants and flowers, and if I don't have time to research it to get it just right...then I won't do it.

Somehow though I gave in to an inner voice this weekend while at Home Depot. (Yes, we always seem to be at F-ing Home Depot!)

For a long time I've wanted a fountain. Keith abandoned me with a cart full of stuff as usual while he went to grab something, so I wandered into the garden area where
I saw this adorable fountain! For $129.00, you get a resin urn and a resin round base with stained glass decoration! Cool! I thought by the way the box kept saying, "Design" - that the catch would be it was just painted on in a stained-glass design... but no, there are real glass pieces at the bottom! FANCY! ha ha ha

Well, we couldn't just leave it at that. If nobody knows this already, my favorite Disney character is Thumper. I try as hard as I can to get my hands on anything with Thumper on it. So around Mother's Day I found a little Thumper garden statue at Wegman's supermarket!!!! I just couldn't pass it up.

Okay...let me make this story shorter.... after some playing around...what started as a fountain turned into what you see below....



Yes, those are real flowers in there!



My little Dream Corner! I did it! (With a lot of help from Keith and his gas-powered tiller and his ability to get the border stones to lay just right!) It's a silly little accomplishment, but I'm proud of my little backyard improvement. It combines many elements of my personality... old world charm, a little glass, and Thumper! Oh, and thanks to Keith for also drilling a hole in Thumper's butt to put the copper tube through. It still needs a little something, but for now, I love it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel it's wonderful and Thumper gave it just the right touch!

Anonymous said...

OH BTW I don't know how I became anonymous....Murphy's Law maybe!?!

Satrina said...

Congratulations on your new garden space! I didn't know about your affection for Thumper, but I love his whimsy... he looks like he's having a good ole time in the cool water of the fountain. What a great idea to tie the two together like that!

yoko said...

Q: where's Thumper?

A: in your Dream Corner!

yay for your new garden space! it looks wonderful! just in time for summer! funny how different a fountain can be to people...i knew it had to be something like the one you got when i read that you got it at Home Depot, but over the weekend the hubby and i were looking at fountains too...those SMALL zen fountains, that is!

seriously..it looks great - and like you say, so VERY you! :) and sometimes, the greatest ideas are the ones that come on a whim!