Saturday, January 05, 2008

Let there be beads!!!

One of my first "No Excuses" initiatives was to just get downstairs and light that torch! It felt so good to just melt that glass. I went down there with no preconceived ideas...just played with the colors and put the bead in the kiln when I thought it was the shape it wanted to be. I even made my first semi-successful hollow! I say semi-successful because the hollow part is rather small, and the bead is close to round...I didn't want to mess with it too much in fear of the hollow inside collapsing on me. In the picture below, it's the green bubble in the back.

Another success was that I was able to get "raku" frit to flash that lovely purple that I could never get it to do on the Hot Head torch. It's the one right in the middle with the black base.

I do need to spend more time on the new torch to get a better feel for the heat, get my control of it back -- some things were melting TOO fast! ha ha ha One disappointment, the pretty clear and wispy pink bead on the left just under the green bead has a stress crack along the bead hole...booooooooooo!

Well, here's a picture! I plan to schedule a bead making day for at least twice a month. I'm so excited and inspired again!

1 comment:

Maryanne said...

YAY!
I'm so happy to see you torching. Glad the back seems to be healing up well enough to finally allow you to sit long enough to make some beauties! Your touch will come back in no time at all. You're a natural.
(BTW - I heard from the kid. They made it to Atlanta and are now bound for Arkansas!)