Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Calling all chefs! Calling all chefs!

Your pathetic friend who only has a kitchen because it came with the house is in need of help! My mother-in-law brought me this:



I know it's a squash. She called it a "Patty Pan". Is that what it is? My motto is, "If I can't shove it in a tortilla, then screw it!"

I suppose I can go to Google to find some high-tech recipe for what to do with this thing, but I was hoping one of you creative cooks out there might be able to give me a quick idea for this odd squash. I reckon it will be good for a few days or so. If I don't hear from anyone in time, it may just end up being a good object to fling at passing cars. Help me stay out of jail by sending me some good ideas! he he he. Whoever comes up with something yummy that is not too complicated will receive a surprise from me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's one for you. I don't actually have a RECIPE to follow, but you can use the recipe on the Old Bay can. Get a can of Old Bay seasoning and follow the recipe for crabcakes. The only difference is that you use the squash instead of crabmeat to make imitation (and CHEAP)crabcakes. You can cut the squash into quarters and grate it, or you can run it through a food processor. Either way, just make sure you soak up a lot of the excess liquid by placing it on some paper towels after it's grated/chopped. My husband and father-in-law are both avid gardeners! And just what the hell is a person supposed to do with 20 squash/zucchini every summer?! My aunt told me this one and my family loves it!

Zonnestraaltje said...

Hey now... I can make crabcakes!! (Well, Keith can! LOL!) This just may be a winning recipe! Let me see what else might come in first... but you may just be the winner!

LOL about the 20 squash comment! My mom-in-law is the one that,when she learned I like a banana now and then, would bombard me with bunches of bananas at one time until I finally said, "Hey! I can't eat that many bananas!!!" Well ironically, she was complaining to me today that the lady that gave her this patty pan to begin with was bombarding HER with squash and she had no idea what to do with so many!!! LOL!

Satrina said...

Alas, there are five yellow pattypans sitting on my counter at the moment, and my only plan is to saute them with some salt, butter, and pepper :-) The crabcake recipe sounds fantastic... I may have to hijack that idea!

Zonnestraaltje said...

LOL! If Satrina the Gardening Guru doesn't know what to do with them either, then I don't feel so bad! Thanks!! :P