Sunday, January 14, 2007

Music from Heaven...

Since my family is in California, at Christmas they send money and ask me to shop for the kids, rather than wasting money on excessive postage. No problem! So this year, I bought the gifts...and needed to sort them out on Christmas Eve for wrapping and assigning.

I tell the kids that Santa delivers these special presents from people we love that are far away. I try to match them up appropriately...but this year I was looking over the gifts and sudden inspiration came to me.

I flashed back to our trip two years ago in 2005 to California. We made a trip to downtown L.A. and visited Olvera Street, where we got the kids two colorful little guitars. They had so much fun here on Grandma's front step playing with them... (David wanted the pink one!)




When we returned to P.A. though, It became clear that these novelty items were not really the best for teaching the kids how to actually play a guitar, and they've been sitting in my closet, where they will be safe. David asks about them often, and sadly I have been denying his request.

Funny though... a few weeks before Christmas, I was in Target and suddenly stopped to see an end cap full of kids Little Lyon guitars that came with an easy learn guide. Perfect!!! Something inside of me just told me to buy them, especially for only $20 each!

So now I'm sitting on the floor wrapping presents Christmas Eve, and I'm still having a hard time losing Grandma the night before...and it came to me... these guitars will be from Grandma... this is how I applied the Christmas money she sent.

The kids unwrapped them Christmas morning...and I made sure they knew that these were gifts of music from Heaven.

So David and I are learning. Sam is not quite ready to sit and learn yet, but David really has a knack for music, I think. He picks it up quickly, and we had a lot of fun...


We are having fun. We are learning together. We are smiling and thinking of Little Grandma with each new note we figure out.

1 comment:

Satrina said...

I love those Olvera Street guitars... I may have to get one myself! :-) The kids look like they're having a great time with the new ones. Who knows, you may have a couple of budding rock stars there!