Saturday, October 07, 2006

There is still innocence...

And wonder...and excitement... in they eyes of my child. He is curious and thrilled to be learning new things and making new friends.




His school has begun a program called "Kid Writing". It is a method of getting kids to write on their own without piling old conventions onto them that are difficult to understand. They emphasize phonetics. First the kids think of what they want to depict and draw their picture. Next an assistant helps them create the sentence they want to write. The child then puts down the letters they believe make up the words they want to write! The assistant will then put the "adult writing" underneath the kid writing to show them how an adult would write the sentence. It is not a session where the kid is told they haven't done it right...they are encouraged about anything they can put down on the paper and reassured that it is a step towards adult writing. I think the results are amazing!

Here is David's kid writing from 10-5. I know I'm prone to be amazed by my own child...but really, I am very impressed with him. He is fascinating to me.

No comments: